Friday, September 30, 2011

Sleeping in the Same Room

A couple of my friends have written about putting both of their kids in the same room or making changes to the room, so I thought I would follow suit and mention that the boys are FINALLY sleeping in the same room.

Matthew has been slumming it in a port a crib (also lovingly known as the Happy Cabana, that is what it says on the side of it, I swear!) in my office. I still can't believe he slept in there for almost 2 years. I really missed my office at night but truth be told it was good for getting me to not work late at night. I have to keep reminding myself that it is an option..if I want to.

Anyway, we had tried to get them to sleep in the same room a couple of times. The first time we tried was about a year ago and it went very lame. I think they handled 1 night fine but then Matthew was teething or something and woke Peter up and vice versa and I just kept giving up.

Sleep is so precious to me...I kept putting off the 1 room thing. But I was noticing that Matthew was getting a little big for the Happy Cabana...so I was hoping we might be able to figure something out soon.

I knew that they would be sharing a room on our vacation--they slept in the living room--Matthew in the port a crib and Peter on the sofa bed--so I thought maybe trying to get them to sleep in the same room beforehand would be a good idea.

So we tried it. They talked for the first 30 minutes and Peter kept telling Matthew to be quiet. Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way by 45 minutes Matthew started crying, complaining that there were "shadows" in the room and it was "sary" (scary). I gave up...again...I wanted sleep. So I just put Matthew back in his crib.

When we went on vacation, they did great sleeping in the same room. We made a big deal about it and then when we got back from vacation, I decided to just keep it going. I am so glad I did because it was really no big deal.

I was a little concerned about the mornings. Peter tends to be like me and wakes up early. He has had a history of calling "Mommy" for like 20 minutes in the mornings. I have actually convinced him to stop this behavior, which I am quite thankful for. He now lays in bed, waiting for his green light to turn on. Sometimes Matthew even sleeps through Peter getting out of the room. One thing I have learned through this process--Matthew loves his bed and loves sleeping. There have been a couple of times recently where he has told us that he wants to go to bed. Maybe now that he has an actual bed he is excited to go to sleep! I think he is just like his daddy. :)

They both like sleep. As you can see here:

4 comments:

Megan said...

Hannah and Joey have been sharing a room for a few months now and we are still working on the "not waking up your sibling in the morning" part. I did end up buying that clock that you and Kelly have so that's been really helpful. If Hannah wakes up first (which is what usually happens) she's pretty good about waiting for the green light QUIETLY and then coming out of the room (minus closing the door behind her fairly loudly). Joey, on the other hand, tends to wake up Hannah to tell her that the light is green. Grr! He now gets an extra long nap time when he does that!

Michelle said...

glad it is working out. I meant to link your blog to my post on this subject but forgot. :) That clock is awesome!

Nova said...

Ooooh... If I keep the boys for much longer, I want that clock!

Kelly said...

for the first time today, kendall got up (when her clock turned green - we've been away from that for a while, so we're trying to get back to it), and cami slept for another 45 minutes. it was great!