Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Preschool

***I wrote this the day of so I wouldn't forget about it. Since I am an anal blogger, I wanted to finish up our summer stuff before I posted this....

Peter started Preschool today at Rolling Hills Covenant Church. I used to go there when I was in high school, so I was thankful to find that they have a wonderful preschool program at their church. Mike and I went to the orientation last week and he was more excited than I was for Peter to start.

About 2 months ago, I mentioned Preschool to Peter and he started crying and told me he didn't want to go. Since then I have been gradually trying to get him to be more excited about it. Since I went to RHCC as a kid, I still had some connections from the past and I figured out who he might be in his class. We had a day at the park. That was good. But he still wasn't completely figuring it out.

Last week, my mom found a great book at the library all about preschool. This seemed to really help Peter out a lot and he started getting more excited. He also started a catechism class at church which he enjoyed going to. I had to do a lot of explaining that the catechism class was not pre-school, but also exciting because it meant he was a big boy.

So today was the big day! The first day is a modified shortened schedule and they allow 1 parent to attend. Peter and I went from 1030am to 12pm. We were both a little nervous. I was nervous that he was going to cling to me the entire time and he was nervous that I was going to leave and I am sure a plethora of other things.

I had a lot of favorite things about today, but one of my most favorites was Mike calling to ask to talk to Peter shortly before we got ready to go. We got Mike on speaker phone and he told Peter how excited he was for him to go to Preschool. It was so sweet of Mike to think to do that and it was almost sweeter to watch Peter's face as he listened to his daddy encouraging him on his big day.

And then we were off! Matthew was quite sad to see us go....

Peter enjoyed trying to find horses at the stables during the drive to preschool. I was so thankful that he found one, because he tends to get upset if he doesn't see one. I wanted him to be in a great mood when we arrived at church.

We got out of the car and he held my hand as we walked toward the classrooms. He noticed a "garden lamb" (is all I can call it) and wanted to check it out for a moment. We snapped a pic on our way out. I am sure he will roll his eyes at this picture in 10 years, but I think it is pretty cute...even if he does have kind of a dorky expression on his face. :)

Anyway, we signed in for Ms. Collen's class in the Rainbow Room. Ms. Colleen is really nice and I think Peter will really like her. As soon as we entered the room, I knew things would go great because he dropped my hand and went to go see what this cubby thing was all about. He didn't quite get what a "cubby" was for and I am sure I confused him further when I put my purse in it. Oh well.

Then he found the train table. And I pretty much watched him play with that for 1 hour. 


Working hard, hammering down some plastic nails into a foam square. Preschool is tough work!
At some point we all went outside and the kids got to play on the playground. There is another class next to his and they have both classes play together during their "recess."

I was really impressed because he went and played on all the stuff and didn't really ask my help with any of it. He still can't pedal on a tricycle but he spent a lot of time pushing himself around.


It was so weird to stand outside with the other moms--most of whom I had known a decade or more--and watch our kids play together.

Playing at the water table...

Eventually, we all went back inside and the kids played some more. Ms. Colleen played a special song and everyone cleaned up the toys. I am going to have to play that song around here...Then Ms. Colleen read the kids a story, "What Color is Your Underwear?". Kind of a random first choice, but the kids loved it.

At one point in the story, she asked the kids how many legs they had. Peter quickly replied loudly and proudly, "THREE!" The teacher chuckled as did the moms and one of them said to me, "I am sure his daddy taught him that." It was pretty funny. Hopefully he gets that straightened out over the next few months of school. :)

And then, that was it. First day over. I was so relieved that it went well. And I think he was pretty proud of himself too.

He wanted to check out the church building afterwards, so we walked upstairs above the classrooms and he went into one of the big meeting rooms. It was kind of funny to walk around the church campus with him--just after spending so much time there in high school. without children.

We came home and Omi had made us both a yummy lunch. Peter gave Matthew a big hug (well, I kind of encouraged him to) and told Matthew, "I missed you! You are my best friend" (Sorry, Kendall). It was pretty sweet.

I thought it would be a good idea to get Peter a backpack--just so he would have something to put in his "cubby." Mike went out and got a backpack for each of the boys on his way home from work. Since Thomas the Tank is the latest craze for the boys, he got some Thomas backpacks.

They loved the backpacks! Peter was so excited to put his on and Matthew kept asking if he could go swimming. I know. He thought it was a life jacket. Sooooo sweet!




It is fun to see your kids grow up and start new things. But it is also bittersweet because it means they are growing up. All in all, it was a great day.

No comments: