Sunday, January 1, 2012

resolutions

my latest favorite family picture

The older I get, the bigger fan I have become of January. One of my teachers in high school always used to say that he felt like September was his "new year," when things started anew. I always used to identify with him because I felt the same way.The farther I get from school, the more January has started to feel like a fresh start for me.

And geez, I have been out of college now for (gasp) 11 years. So...yeah. there's that.

I thought I would share my resolutions here just as a way of keeping myself accountable.....

1) Be purposeful. 

Normally when I make a resolution it is very clear like, "exercise more" or "eat less dessert." This year I felt like being a little crazy and creating a general resolution of being more purposeful in my living.

I don't want to go through the motions everyday. I want to start the day in prayer and reading Scripture and thinking about my goals for the day. I want to be able to experience the day, and not feel like I am just eeking by. I am not sure if that all makes sense. But that's my resolution.

One of the ways I am going to work on this is by participating in a Scripture Memorization Blog. I always intend to memorize some verses but it never really happens. I am hoping this blog will be a great way to memorize Scripture and it will also provide some fun online fellowship with other ladies.

2) Focus on the Family

No, I am not trying to copy James Dobson....but I would like to really focus on my nuclear family this year. I want to really reflect on what it means to be a godly and respectful wife and I want to try to serve my husband AND children as much as I can....with a gracious attitude.

I have read, Debi Pearl's, "Created to be His Helpmeet" before but I plan to re-read it this year as a refresher. The first time I read it, it made a huge impact on me. And I made a mental note that I wanted to read it again in a couple of years to refresh my mind on what it means to be a godly wife. Can't believe it has been a couple of years.

I also plan on participating in another online blog book study and will read a book called, "5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Son." 

3) The simple but basic ones: exercise more frequently (once I can figure this pesky sprained ankle thing) and eat a balanced diet.

I am excited to participate in all of these various things and I am looking forward to a fresh start for the year.

Of course, I have no idea how I am going to squeeze all of these things in....but for me that is the fun and challenge of creating resolutions.

No comments: