Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Presenting Matthew Clayton G


This was taken around 5:45am. When we arrived at hospital, the fire alarm went off. I freaked out and was envisioning us huddled in the parking lot while they put out the fire. A nurse quickly reassured us that there was no problem and it was just a false alarm.

Shortly after this picture was taken, a nurse asked me about 150,000 different questions. I don't remember them asking me all of these questions that last time. "What is your highest level of education?" "Which of your family members have heart disease?" It was kind of stressful having to remember all of that info at 5 in the morning, not to mention that the other nurse was trying to insert an IV during this whole process and couldn't find a vein. They were probably tight because I was too busy trying to remember who died of what disease in my family....

After the questioning was completed, we sat and waited. The surgery was delayed by an hour because some poor lady had to have an emergency c-section after a long night of labor. She was wheeled into the room while I was waiting to go in. Mike and I got irritated because the nurses started discussing the ins and outs of her labor and were analyzing her contractions, etc. Didn't really need to hear all of that!

Anyways, we headed to the OR. The anesthesiologist was so nice. He had great bedside manner; the guy that I had during Peter's birth was a real meanie so it was great to have someone that made you feel like you were in good hands. His name was Dr. Lundberg. He did a good job of distracting me once we got into the OR by making small talk. Turns out he used to live next door to one of the most eclectic person I used to work with in the candy industry. What a small world!

Once they removed Matthew, I heard the doctor say, "oh--there is a knot in the umbilical cord!" She claimed it was good luck and very rare. We are still not sure why it is good luck--seems like it could have been very bad luck if I wasn't having a c-section. Anyway, the doctor said that no one knows how these knots occur. I guess Matthew was just doing a lot of stuff in there.

I am pretty exhausted, so I will have to post more pictures later...but here are just a couple...


Matthew Clayton G****
born September 24th, 9:14 am
8lbs 7oz, 21 inches long















No comments: